OCEANUS DIVING CENTER
VISIT OUR STORE AT 1665 KALAKAUA AVE
HONOLULU, HI 96826
OPEN WATER SCUBA DIVER COURSE
Have you been dreaming about scuba diving? Do you see yourself diving below the surface and swimming along the fish and reefs? This is it! The Open Water Scuba Certification is the first and only certification you will ever need to go scuba diving. Once you take and complete the course you will be certified for life and belong to an entire new group of people. Once you are certified, you will be able to buy scuba gear, rent scuba gear, and book scuba tours during your vacations to exotic places. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get signed up!
This course aims to teach new divers everything they need to be competent and confident scuba divers. In open water, students learn basic skin diving skills, basic rescue skills, how to prepare for a scuba dive, how to put together and break down scuba equipment, the fundamentals of using a dive compass, how to clean and properly store scuba gear, hand signals, how to don and configure scuba gear and more. The academic portion of the class plays an integral part of each student’s education. Through e-learning or use of a textbook, students learn about pressure in dive physics, the ocean environment, human physiology, dangerous animals, equipment, and other various topics.
The pace of this course gradually builds momentum while accelerating students’ confidence through cognition and psycho-motor skills. Upon graduating, students will be certified to go scuba diving with a buddy down to depths of 60 feet.
HOW TO GET STARTED
If you are interested in becoming a certified scuba diver you will need to submit the following:
1. All required forms. You must fill out and submit a training application, Medical Questionnaire, Assumption of Risk and Liability, and Rental Agreement form. Students needing a medical clearance from a doctor will need to provide a doctor’s approval prior to starting the class.
2. Dive referrals. Anyone wanting to finish their open water scuba course with us is welcome to join one of our scuba classes. In order to receive credit for prior training, you must provide us with a dive referral from your previous instructor or the diving center you used previously.
3. Identification. A government identification is required in order to take this course. All participants must present either a state or country identification.
3. Class tuition. Full tuition payment for the course is required up front. We do not accept partial payments.
4. Academic materials. To take the class, student must purchase academic materials and have completed at leat 1/4 of the course work i.e. reading etc. prior to the first day of class.
• If you are under the age of 15 you can earn a Jr. Open Water Certification. The Junior Open Water Diver Certification applies to anyone between the ages of 10 to 15 years of age.
*A Jr. Open Water Diver between the ages of 10 and 11 years may only dive with a Scuba Professional, a certified parent or certified guardian to a maximum depth of 12 meters/40 feet. We have special pricing for Jr. Open Water Divers due to limited size of classes. Call for pricing.
*Please call for tuition rates.
REQUIRED BOOKS and MATERIALS
All students are required to have a dive log for recording the dives completed after training each day. Students may choose to purchase a textbook set which includes a Recreational Dive Planner, or choose a textbook set that is geared for students planning to dive with a dive computer.
All students are required to have a dive log for recording the dives done after each day of training. E-learning is a great way to complete the academic portion of this course prior to coming to Hawaii. Upon paying for Open Water Scuba Diver course, you will receive an invitation to start doing your e-Learning. All of the academic readings, quizzes, and final exam are included with the e-Learning. However, e-Learning does not come with a dive log, so you will need to purchase one separately either prior to coming to Hawaii or afterwards at the Oceanus Diving Center store.
The Oceanus Diving Center is happy to include scuba rental gear in with the cost of this course making it more affordable to the public and convenient to the visitors of Hawaii. For non-students i.e. certified divers wishing to go diving, a full set of rental gear is $50.00 per day. Students using Oceanus Diving Center gear and not their own will fill out a rental form, provide a valid credit card and deposit, and a copy of a valid I.D.
Students with dive referrals are welcome to complete their training with us. Recognition of prior learning (RPL) will only be granted to students who can provide proof of prior training and completion of the final exam. The costs for completing the Open Water Scuba course will depend on how many dives you have left to do.
(a) Completed all confined water dives yet still needs to do 4 open water dives to complete the course- $300.00
(b) Completed all confined water dives and 2 open water dive yet needs to do 2 more open water dives to complete the course – $225.00
ONCE YOU ARE CERTIFIED
Your scuba certification lasts a lifetime. Once you’ve completed the course, you will belong to a new group of people that share a common bond through their love of the sea and enjoyment of scuba diving. More importantly, you will be able to rent scuba gear or book a dive tour during your vacations at exotic places. Not to mention you will be certified to dive with a buddy to depths of up to 60 feet.
YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE
After completing the Open Water Scuba Diver course, increase your diving skills and explore new underwater environments by taking the Advanced Open Water Course.