OCEANUS DIVING CENTER
LOCATION: 1665 KALAKAUA AVE
HONOLULU, HI 96826
NAUI STORE LIC # AF1000
NAUI SKIN DIVER COURSE
Welcome to the world of Skin Diving. There is no experience needed for admission because this is an introductory certification course designed to train students in the art of snorkeling and breath-hold diving. Although Skin Diving is snorkeling and breath-hold-diving combined, Skin Diving is synonymous with Freediving because the two sports look the same. The biggest difference between skin diving and freediving is the participants goals. Whereas a Freediver’s goal is merely and competitively to dive deeper, a Skin Diver may dive deeper to view or hunt aquatic animals, or to collect things of interest. In this sense, Skin Diving is more fun than Freediving.
As a student, you will learn the difference between the two as well as learn about gear preparation and proper usage. Keep in mind that proficient Skin Divers make great Scuba Divers and Freedivers. Upon successful completion of this course, students are expected to be competent enough to engage in open water skin diving activities without supervision and with friends.
What qualifications do I need to start?
• Be 12 years old, be in good health, and be able to swim
• Submit a student application form, Medical Questionnaire / Statement, Rental Agreement form, and the Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement form. If the new diver answers “yes” to any condition on the form’s medical history section, the diver must receive medical approval prior to any in-water activities.
What you will learn
The NAUI Skin Diver course is the first step in the direction of Freediving. In fact a lot of what you will learn and do in this class is the same as Freediving. From your instructor some of the things you will learn are
• Basic physics and physiology as it pertains to Skin Diving
• Gases and the respiratory system and shallow water blackout
• Pressure/volume as related to squeezes and the dangers of breathing compressed air
• Equipment used for Skin Diving
• Buoyancy and proper weighting
• Water temperatures and thermal protection effects
• Diving environments
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
The Skin Diver course is done in one day.
• Orientation the night before diving — 5 pm to 7pm
• Two dives in one day — 8 am to 4 pm
Note: The Skin Diving sessions will take place at one of the open water water locations utilized by Oceanus Divers. The minimum class size in order to conduct the class is 2 participants, while the maximum class size is 12 participants. Each class will be taught by a certified and insured Scuba Instructor, and we will provide one to two certified and insured Dive Masters to assist with water sessions when necessary.
WHAT SKIN DIVING EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED?
• Students are responsible for their own gear such as a mask, snorkel and fins.
• All other required gear such as a buoy and buoyancy compensator will be provided by Oceanus Divers.
WHAT MATERIALS WILL I NEED?
• Please call and ask our staff what education materials you will need for this class.
ONCE YOU ARE SKIN DIVER CERTIFIED
• Your certification lasts a lifetime, and you will be able to skin dive independently of an instructor or dive professional to any depth of your capability.
Your Next Adventure
Once you’ve completed the Skin Diving course, you will have a solid foundation to begin your next journey toward working on your Freediver certification or Scuba Diver certification.