UNDERWATER NAVIGATOR COURSE
Demonstrating the skill to navigate accurately underwater will make you the diver everyone trusts to follow on an excursion. The Oceanus Diver’s Underwater Navigation course teaches you how to accurately use an underwater compass, methods for estimating distance underwater, underwater map making, techniques for marking or relocating an underwater location or submerged object from the surface. If you like challenges with big rewards, take this course and have fun finding your way around down there.
The Fun Part
Finding your way is not a matter of luck! When everyone’s buzzing about a reef or checking out a shipwreck, they’re having a great time – until it’s time to go. Then they turn to you, and because you got awesome training at Oceanus Divers, you know the way back to the boat.
This course is proudly offered under the flags of NAUI and PADI. Whether you choose to use NAUI education materials and to receive a NAUI certification card or choose to use PADI education materials and to receive a PADI certfication card, your open water navigation training is the same.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN IN THE COURSE
There are no roads or sign posts with letters or numbers telling you where you are or what direction to go, so knowing how to implement an underwater compass will help make yours and your dive buddy’s dives more enjoyable. Some of the things you’ll learn in this course are
• Navigation patterns
• Natural navigation (without a compass)
• Compass navigation
• How to “mark” or relocate a submerged object or position from the surface
• Underwater map making
• How to follow irregular courses with the Nav-Finder
• Dive site relocation
• How to estimate distance underwater
What do I need to start?
(1) be at least a PADI Adventure Diver or an Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver or Equivalent
(2) be at least 15 years old. A Junior Certification is offered to children 10 – 14 years of age
(3) Medical History Forms and Liability Release Agreements of minors must be signed by parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
How long will it take?
The Navigation Diver Specialty is 3 ocean dives orchestraed over the course of two days.
**If one of your adventure dives during your Advanced Open Water certifications was a navigation dive, this dive can be used as one of the three required dives for this specialty**
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Tuition – $395.00
TEXTBOOK AND MATERIALS
In order to participate in this class all students must bring to class:
(1) an underwater compass ($50 – $110)
(2) an underwater slate with grids ($10 – $30)
You can choose either PADI or NAUI course materials for this course. Please speak with one of our Oceanus educations specialists.