WRECK DIVER SPECIALTY
Whether purposefully sunk as an artificial reef for scuba divers or lost as the result of an accident, wrecks are fascinating windows to the past. Ships, airplanes, and even cars are fascinating to explore, and they are usually teeming with aquatic life. Each wreck dive offers a chance for discovery, potentially unlocking a mystery or spying something others have missed. The Oceanus Divers’ Wreck Diver course is popular because it offers rewarding adventures while observing responsible wreck diving practices. We will look at what to consider when navigating and exploring wrecks, surveying and mapping wrecks, using lines and reels as guides for exploring wrecks, and what kind of kicking techniques to use in order to avoid kicking up silt or disturbing the wreck and its inhabitants.
The Fun Part
The fun part of the PADI Wreck Diver course is visiting wrecks, unlocking mysteries and starting to gain the knowledge and experience that allows you to see things that others overlook. Sometimes, only the trained, experienced eye recognizes that a small hole or open door likely caused the vessel’s demise.
What You Learn
• Techniques for diving exploring shipwrecks, and how to avoid common hazards
• How to research and learn the background of your favorite wrecks
• Wreck scuba diving equipment considerations
• Considerations and techniques for entering intact wrecks
• Experience in planning, organizing and making at least four wreck dives under the supervision of your PADI Instructor
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
• Be at least 15 years old . Children 10 – 14 years old can earn their Junior Wreck Diver certification
• Be a at least a certified PADI Adventure diver or have an Advanced Diver Certification
• Submit Medical History and Liability Release forms (minors must be signed by parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s))
How long will it take?
The Wreck Diver Specialty is 4 dives that take place over two full days, usually during a weekend but sometimes during the week days as well
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST
• Tuition Option (A) – $395 / comes with PADI Wreck Diver Manual and DVD
• Tuition Option (B) – $379.99 / comes with PADI Wreck Diver Manual only (DVD is not included nor required)
Your Next Adventure
Many shipwrecks are often found in deeper water. That’s why the PADI Wreck Diver course is a natural companion to the PADI Deep Diver course. Sometimes you can take these two specialties concurrently.