DISCOVER SCUBA DIVING
PADI STORE # 26359
Our Discover Scuba Diving program introduces people to scuba diving in a highly supervised and relaxed manner. The experience helps dispels common misconceptions about scuba by letting individuals try it for themselves. Under the guidance of a scuba professional you will learn basic safety concepts, put on equipment, and swim around underwater in a closely supervised environment. Discover Scuba Sessions typically require two to three hours to complete, including a pre-dive briefing or video, and scuba diving debriefing.
Whenever possible an Orientation Session will be provided to our customers at our local store facility prior to the Discover Scuba Session. Parents of participating children are required to watch the “Children and Scuba” video followed by the Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) video. All participants must watch the Discover Scuba Diving video prior to the diving activity.
The objectives for the orientation session are as follows:
• Introduce participants to the Owners, Instructors, and Dive Masters at Oceanus Divers
• Provide a tour of the facilities at Oceanus Divers
• Complete all necessary paperwork for the Discover Scuba Program
• Fit the participants for dive equipment
Youth (participants ages 10 or 11) and their parent(s) or legal guardian will review the “Responsibility and Risks video”; or thoroughly review the “Responsibility and Risks Flipchart”; review the Discover Scuba Session Schedule; and Answer any questions the participants have regarding the Discover Scuba session or other programs and equipment offered by Oceanus Divers.
Note: Where participants aren’t able to attend the Orientation Session, Oceanus Divers will provide a sizing chart for the participant to complete prior to the Discover Scuba.
Oceanus Divers offers several Discover Scuba sessions or activities to the public. The minimum class size in order to conduct the class is 2 participants, while the maximum class size is 12 participants. Each class is taught by a certified and insured Scuba Instructor in which we also provide one to two Certified and Insured Dive Masters to assist with confined water sessions as necessary.
The format of the Discover Scuba Sessions are as follows:
• Participants not able to attend the Orientation Session meet with an Oceanus Divers’ Instructor at least 30 minutes prior to the Discover Scuba Diving session to address administrative requirements.
• Dive Masters and/or Scuba Instructors assemble and arrange scuba equipment at the pool, boat, or the shore side for participants.
• Oceanus Divers’ Instructor and/or Dive Masters provide an overview of the activity
• Pool Side, Shore Side, or Boat Briefing: Oceanus Divers’ Instructors will introduce and explain the use of a mask, fins, buoyancy control device (BCD), regulator and pressure gauge. He or she will also review any other equipment participants will wear – exposure protection, weight system, alternate air source, etc.
• Prior to entering the water, the Instructor will review breathing rules and equalization techniques, as well as regulator and mask clearing. The Instructor will also provide an overview of essential safety information and basic scuba skills.
• Entering the pool or ocean: Oceanus Divers’ Instructor and/or Dive Master will assist participants in putting on and adjusting their scuba equipment.
Oceanus Divers’ Instructor will directly supervise participants as they breathe underwater and swim around. When comfortable, Oceanus Divers’ Instructor and/or Dive Master will take the participants on tours in deeper water as appropriate.
Note: Oceanus Divers’ Instructors may, at their discretion, introduce skills from the Open Water Scuba Diver Confined Water course session. Skills mastered during the Discover Scuba Diving program may be credited toward Open Water Scuba Diver course requirements.
• At the conclusion of the Discover Scuba experience, Oceanus Divers’ Instructor will debrief the participants, reminding them that they need additional training to dive without professional supervision, encouraging them to move on to certification programs, recognizing them for their accomplishments, and completing registration procedures.
• Participants will receive instant recognition via a Discover Scuba Certification Card signed by the Instructor.
To participate in the Try Scuba diving / Discover Scuba Diving program, participants must
1. Be 10 years or older.
2. Review, complete and sign our store’s affirmation of risk and medical history screen (as found in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving brochure or other documents) before entering the water.
3. Parent or guardian signature is required for new divers younger than legal age.
4. If the new diver answers “yes” to any condition on the form’s medical history section, the diver must receive medical approval prior to any in-water activities.
Oceanus Divers Responsibilities:
1 . In conducting the Orientation and Discover Scuba Sessions, Oceanus Divers will provide all required scuba equipment (Buoyancy Compensator Devices (BCDs), Regulators, Scuba Tanks, Weights, Wet suits, Masks, Snorkels, Fins and Boots.
2. Oceanus Divers will transport all required equipment to the confined water areas and boats, assemble equipment for participants, and return dive equipment to Oceanus Divers.
3. Oceanus Divers will provide Instructors who are professional members in active teaching status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance) and/or Dive Masters in Active status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance).
In order to participate in the Discover Scuba Diving / Try Scuba Diving sessions, the participant need only complete the administrative paperwork, and provide a bathing suit, towel, and willingness to learn and experience scuba diving.
SESSIONS & COSTS
The Discover Scuba Diving / Try Scuba Diving comes with the below options:
• One Tank Shore Dive – $109.99 (Two participants required. Please call to check availability.)
• Two Tank Shore Dive – $124.99
• Two Tank Boat Dive – $149.99
• Two Tank Boat Dive with practice in confined water 2 hours prior to the dive – $175.00
Are you ready to experience one of the most adventurous activities possible? Call us at 808.200.4613 and ask to speak with one of our Scuba Instructors!